Are you looking to get organized for the new year, but not quite sure where to begin? Pests may not be top of mind, but this is a great time to get your home organized and clean and make sure you’re not making it appealing for pests.
Clean up your pantry
Insects and rodents smell food even when humans can’t, so open food containers in the pantry are attractive. Not only are they a nuisance but they also can contaminate foods and spread bacteria. If it’s easy for you to access the snacks, just think how easy it’d be for tiny pests. Now’s the time to clean and organize the pantry.
- Store dry cereal and pet food in plastic containers with lids instead of the original boxes and bags.
- Empty opened sleeves of crackers and other bite-size snacks into closable, plastic bags.
- Bags of chips should be closed tightly with clips.
- Store items such as flour, sugar, spices and nuts in glass or plastic jars with lids.
- Check expiration dates and dispose of expired food and your garbage, regularly.
Launder your linens
Who knows what kind of invisible signs of pests that your sheets may be hiding. Be sure to launder bed linens in hot water on a regular basis. Once clean, store them in large plastic storage bags with zippers or in plastic storage boxes. It’s not a bad idea to invest in machine-washable mattress and pillow covers, too.
Sign up for regular pest control service
It’s always easier to prevent a problem than to deal with it after it’s too late. Having a regular pest control service company inspecting your home is a great first step to ensure your home stays pest-free all year long. To find a Certified Sentricon Specialist™ near you, visit our Find a Pro page.